Achinthi holds degrees in both Law (LLB) and International Studies (BInst) from the University of New South Wales, Sydney. As a member of the NRG team since 2009, she has extensive experience practising in commercial and property law. Having completed a 1 year program at the prestigious Waseda University in Tokyo, Japan, Achinthi’s language and communication skills in Japanese are invaluable when it comes to advising NRG’s numerous Japanese business and corporate clients throughout Australia with their legal matters.
Achinthi’s experience and achievements include:
- advising on all commercial legal aspects for businesses, including business acquisition, retail & commercial leasing, liquor licensing, franchising & intellectual property in both New South Wales and Victoria;
- advising on compliance with national privacy laws for businesses and corporations;
- advising Japanese corporate clients on Australian corporate legal requirements;
- acting for clients in commercial litigation matters including debt recovery;
- acting for clients in certain criminal matters, particularly s32 applications; and
- publishing a journal article on the Chagos Case and International Environmental Law in the Yearbook of Polar Law, Volume 4, 2012, BRILL.
Prior to practising law, she gained a wealth of legal experience in various other legal bodies including the Energy & Water Ombudsman, the Cyberspace Law & Policy Centre and the Redfern Legal Centre.
Despite her busy schedule she is actively involved in the NSW community of young lawyers and currently holds the position of Vice-Chair of the NSW Young Lawyers International Law Committee.